Client Canadian Mental Health Agency
Location Nanaimo, BC
Certification LEED Gold
CHMA non-profit society operates The Wesley Street residence – the first City-owned site for supported housing under a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between BC Housing and the City of Nanaimo. The residence has 36 studio apartments, each with its own kitchen and bathroom. Additional space for counselling, individual and group programs, and project administration is provided on the first floor, along with a courtyard and vegetable gardens. All units are for single men and women who are presently living on the street, and who need help to overcome addictions, mental health issues and/or other challenges.
SSG provided the LEED certification stewardship for the project, consulting on sustainability design and programming features of the building. The project was awarded its target LEED Gold certification status by the Canada Green Building Council.
Innovations and Achievements
- On-site stormwater management provided by a cistern.
- All irrigation requirements met by rain water harvesting.
- Greatly reduced parking footprint.
- 40% energy cost reduction over MNECB.
- 40% water use reduction over standard building.
- Extensive attention to improved indoor air quality including increased ventilation, sealed suites and fresh air delivery.
- Daylighting and views available for all spaces.
- Exemplary performance in construction waste diversion.
- Best practice commissioning ensures optimal building systems performance.
- Creative landscaping engages tenants in gardening activities.