Client: Atira Women’s Housing Society, BC Housing
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Certification: LEED Gold
Part of BC Housing’s 14 sites Provincial Homelessness Initiative, the Sorella Building is a residential mixed-use infill development serving women in transition and providing supportive housing for 125 residents with its 108 units.
SSG provided the LEED certification stewardship for the project, consulting on sustainability design and programming features of the building. The project was awarded its target LEED Gold certification status by the Canada Green Building Council.
Innovations and Achievements
- Focus on durable, healthy, and high-quality interior spaces with excellent ventilation and extensively day-lit spaces.
- Over 40% energy savings over standard building.
- Over 40% water savings over standard building.
- Built on a previously developed site, with excellent access to services and public transit.
- Greatly reduced on-site parking requirement.
- Special focus on resident lifestyles and living requirements.
- Green cleaning and resident engagement and education programs.
Photos provided by GBL Architects.