Business Development and Communications Coordinator
Full Time, Permanent
ABOUT SUSTAINABILITY SOLUTIONS GROUP
Sustainability Solutions Group (SSG) is a collective of Canada’s leading climate change planning professionals. We are an innovative workers cooperative that collaborates with clients to develop meaningful, creative strategies to integrate ecological, economic and social sustainability in their projects, organizations, and communities. We pride ourselves in working closely with our clients to achieve real, on the ground, social and ecological change through projects of unusual integrity. As a team, we demonstrate that the whole is much more than the sum of its parts – we build on each other’s experiences, enthusiasm, skills and innovation. SSG’s approach to work is unique because it embodies the following principles:
- Based on solid theory
- Considers the whole picture
- Participatory in design and implementation
- Fosters social change
- Takes care of the commons
Our vision is a world of decarbonized, equitable, healthy communities for everyone. We are urban climate change planners, incorporating many skill sets and experiences in our team.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The purpose of this position is to coordinate SSG’s business development and communications activities. The Coordinator will perform many diverse tasks, including leading the RFP monitoring and proposal writing process, researching new business opportunities, maintaining SSG’s customer relationship management (CRM) software, and managing SSG’s web and social media presence. The Coordinator will work with SSG Principals and staff to ensure that SSG’s efforts align with the goals in its business development and communications strategies, updating the strategies where required.
SSG works closely with its sister company, whatIf? Technologies Inc (WiT). SSG’s and WiT’s business development and communications efforts are one in the same. The position will work closely with – and carry out a number of tasks directly for – WiT.
- Administration and streamlining of SSG’s process for monitoring and responding to requests for proposal (RFPs)
- Researching business opportunities for new markets and new services
- Coordinating and administering meetings of SSG / WiT joint Business Development Group
- Planning and coordinating SSG’s participation at various conferences
- Leading communications efforts in all areas – including maintenance of the website, management of social media, newsletters and marketing materials – as guided by SSG’s Marketing Communications Group
- Monitoring all business development and communications activities to ensure they align with SSG’s business development and communications strategies
- Working with SSG Principals to update business development and communications strategies as required
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The successful candidate will have the following qualities and attributes:
1. Excellent project management skills
2. Excellent communication skills, written and oral
3. A high degree of self-motivation and ability to navigate ambiguity
4. A commitment to continual improvement and best practice
5. Flexibility to adapt to different levels of workloads and schedules
6. Proven track record of success working on project teams
7. Ability to think critically and creatively
8. Strong attention to detail
9. Strong problem-solving skills
10. Comfort with working virtually with a distributed workforce
11. Familiarity with and/or enthusiasm for workers co-operatives
12. Ability to work in a non-hierarchical environment
The successful candidate will have the following technical skills and proficiencies
- Proficiency with GSuite (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.) and/or MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Experience managing web and social media platforms for professional organizations
The following technical skills and proficiencies are considered assets but are not requirements for the successful candidate:
- College or University degree in Project Management or Event Planning or Communications
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud design applications (i.e. Spark, Photoshop, InDesign)
- Familiarity with city governance as it relates to urban/community planning, and knowledge of sustainable development practices
- Familiarity with and/or enthusiasm for workers co-operatives
SALARY, BENEFITS AND PROFIT SHARING
SSG workers are paid according to a salary scale that factors in years of professional experience and years worked at SSG. SSG workers are paid an hourly rate based on monthly hours worked. SSG expects salary of the successful candidate to fall close to $30/hour.
SSG offers a generous benefits package.
This position will be eligible for membership in the cooperative (i.e. co-ownership) within roughly six months. SSG distributes a minimum of 50% of its annual net income back to its members. Income distribution is in the form of shares or as cash, as determined by SSG’s Board of Directors.
OTHER JOB CONDITIONS
Some travel may be required (maximum estimate 10-15 days per year).
Occasional overtime may be required.
SSG offers flexible work hours.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to Colin MacDougall at colin (at) ssg.coop no later than midnight on November 24, 2019. In the cover letter, we encourage you to speak to your interest in working with a worker’s cooperative.
For more information about worker co-ops in Canada, see the following resources:
Depending on the number of responses, we may be able to contact only those candidates whom we wish to interview.